The Adventurous Adventure in A Graveyard // Book Review: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

9:30 AM

Title: The Graveyard Book
Author: Neil Gaiman
Paperback edition, 327 pages
Published: September 28th, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins
4.5/5 Stars

IT TAKES A GRAVEYARD TO RAISE A CHILD.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy - an ancient indigo man, a gateway to abandoned city of ghouls, the strange and terrible fleer. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will be in danger from the man Jack - who has already killed Bod's family . . .

You could read my spoilered review on Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7718597-the-graveyard-book

“You're alive, Bod. That means you have infinite potential. You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you can change the world, the world will change. Potential. Once you're dead, it's gone. Over. You've made what you've made, dreamed your dream, written your name. You may be buried here, you may even walk. But that potential is finished.”


THE GRAVEYARD BOOK isn't my first Neil Gaiman book. I've read CORALINE before. It was pretty scary, and I loved it, which made me want to read more Neil Gaiman's book. So when I saw The Graveyard Book at my local bookstore, I immediately bought it.

It started out okay, just like other novel, which made me wonder what's so special about this book (since it won an award). The writing is vivid and descriptive, it feels like reading a graphic novel. It gets more and more interesting afterwards.

I loved how the story started since Bod was a baby, until he was 15 years old. Each chapters indicating that a year has passed. I find the adventures he had in the graveyard are adorable, and I love all the headstones inscription. Bod is naive and curious, since he was raised in a graveyard and never seen the world outside.

"I want to see life. I want to hold it in my hands. I want to leave a footprint on the sand of a desert island. I want to play football with people. I want,' he said, and then he paused and he thought. 'I want everything."


But eventually, like every other children, Bod grows up and he wanted to see the world outside the graveyard. Which made the second-half of the book more amazing and realistic. Bod gets lonely, he wanted to experience the real world, and he wanted to meet another living people. But since there's a murderer looking for him, he can't do that.

The way Bod dealt with the Jacks... well I personally thinks he dealt with it better that what I expected, but I think it was too ruthless, it scares me. He doesn't look like sweet, kind, curious Bod we know.
What I loved the most about this book is how family oriented this book is. Even though Bod is alive and the others are, well, dead, they're still a family. A tight, close family that love each other, support each other. The ghosts try their best to keep Bod safe. They are family.

WHICH IS WHY THAT ENDING BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYES. It was too sad! I mean, does it really has to end that way??


The Graveyard Book is one of those book that is so beautiful, that it made you cry and wanted to know what happen to the characters afterwards because you love them so much. It's a story about friendship and family, but also life. I love how perfect this is for fall/autumn, it warms my cold heart (I'm not easily moved by stories) but it also has it creepy sides which is perfect for Halloween. Highly recommended, surely will re-read every October and read it to my future children<33



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Ahhh, I haven't read this book yet, but I keep hearing so much about it!
    I do love myself a good book with a strong sense of family. Especially since you say Bod's family is dead, yet they're still super close! It makes me feel a little better about the world.
    I'll have to pick this book up soon, it sounds so good!
    Awesome review, Tasya!
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this book is so heart warming I actually cried at the end...

      Delete
  2. Aww no, a sad ending? Sad endings RUIN me. But I love it xD I've also read one other book by Neil Gaiman and liked it a lot so I think I will check this one out too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love sad endings! I think sad endings made me realize how I love the stories and the characters by how strong my sadness is over them.

      Delete

Hi guys! Thank you so much for visiting, feel free to leave a comment and talk to me, I don't bite :D

Popular Posts

Goodreads

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Tasya has read 2 books toward her goal of 70 books.
hide