Book Review: The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare

12:30 AM

the bane chronicles

The Bane Chronicles
by Cassandra Clare
Paperback Edition, 503 pages
Published 2014 by Walker Books
✰✰✰.5

It is not easy being Magnus Bane. As a warlock, he's often called upon to fix the problems of others. His life has been long, and his loves have been many. And Magnus has a way of making sure he's in the right place at the right - or perhaps wrong - time. The French Revolution, Prohibition, the first great battle between Valentine and the New York Institute...

Magnus was there, and usually in the middle of it. Magnus will never be able to tell all of his tales. No one would believe him. But these eleven stories shed a little light on his often inscrutable character. They are stories he probably wishes had never got out.
  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23598679-the-bane-chronicles

I don't know how to rate this book. The first half bores me, while I absolutely enjoyed the second half. I LOVE Magnus Bane. He's just too fabulous and awesome and his personality itself enough to make me like this book, his personality worth 3 stars on its own. It has its typical Magnus moments: madness, mayhem, flirting, party, glitters, and drunken moments. It's hilarious and funny. But the problem is, most of the story itself is boring. The plot is going nowhere, and most of them do nothing more than a filler.

#1 What Really Happened in Peru
It's really funny and entertaining! I love reading the friendship between Catarina, Ragnor and Magnus. Especially the way Ragnor treated Magnus, he really takes no shit from him XD The problem is, as entertaining and fun the story, the plot is going nowhere and eventually, it doesn't explain what happened in Peru. It just feels too lazy on the author part.

#2 The Runaway Bride
I'm kind of okay with this one. The story isn't as entertaining as the first one, but we got to see Magnus's more human side. The ending was bittersweet though.

#3 Vampires, Scones and Edmund Herondale
This might be my least favorite story in this book. I like how this story shows how prejudiced the Shadowhunters are, how terrible they treated downworlders and human (like we don't know that already) and Magnus's first meeting with Camille. But again, the plot is going literally nowhere. This one felt like a filler, and it's just so boring.

#4 The Midnight Heir
Okay I already know that this story would have Tessa, Will and Jem, but my heart still not prepared to actually see them. They're still as close with each other as ever. And hearing James calling Jem uncle is just <333 ALL THE FEELS. But again. The plot is going nowhere, nothing happened, and I don't understand why it was titled The Midnight Heir. What midnight? What heir?

#5 The Rise of Hotel Dumort
This one is a bit better. It sets in the 1920s, and even though it feel a bit flat, I still enjoyed it a lot. We could see the extent of Magnus's power and hints about who his father is in this story.

#6 Saving Raphael Santiago
Yasss finally Raphael Santiago. Raphael is one of my favorites in TMI, it's a shame really what happened to him in book 6. This one is really funny and entertaining, and Raphael gets along really well with Ragnor since they both takes no shit from Magnus XD It's fun watching both of them irritate Magnus.

#7 The Fall of Hotel Dumort
It has the creepy and urgent atmosphere, but again, the story fails to deliver. It felt anti-climatic, and not much happened, plot wise.

#8 What to Buy Shadowhunter Who Already Has Everything
This one is just so funny and cute! It's just 100% Malec fluff, and I'm loving every moment of it. It also has TID reference *wink wink*

#9 The Last Stand of New York Institute
It's okay I guess. No matter how much Magnus act like he doesn't care with shadowhunters and tried to stay out with the affairs, he seems to always find himself right in the middle of it. And he's always helping those in need. His humanity is honestly a plus point.

#10 The Course of True Love
This one is really cute. It's about Malec first date, and no matter how Magnus tried, everything seems to be going wrong. And it's adorable to see Alec the way Magnus sees him.

#11 The Voicemail of Magnus Bane
It's cute, but it's also sad. Alec is really sorry for what he had done, but Magnus also really hurt with his actions. The gang tries to contact Magnus and bring them together with their own way, which shows how much they ship Malec and care for them. My favorite is Isabelle, who threatens and calls him non stop. Typical Izzy.

So overall... I did like it, but I expect for more from this book. Magnus is fabulous and amazing as ever, it's the writing and the story I didn't enjoy. For someone as famous as Cassandra Clare, I think she could do better in terms of stories. But if you could ignore all the other things, and want to read this book solely for Magnus Bane, then definitely go grab it!




You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. The Bane Chronicles! I've always been meaning to read it, but I haven't got round to it yet. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed most of the stories in it, and Malec fluff? Just what I need! Thanks for sharing Tasya! :)

    Cloe @ Mornings and Epilogues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you like (love) Magnus Bane, then this book is a must read! I hope you'll enjoy it!<3

      Delete
  2. I feel like each of these stories could have been elaborated a bit more. It felt a little too rushed to me, but I suppose that's the nature of novellas in this case...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, maybe because it's just novellas that's why most of them feel rushed.

      Delete
  3. I already have this book on my phone, and I haven't read the other short stories, but I did skip to the last part with the text messages. I really enjoyed reading it, especially Izzy's! It was so hilarious but at the same time sweet as well. <3 I think the things I'm looking forward to reading here the most are the cameos from TID and the story of Raphael and Magnus. :)

    Great review, Tasya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last one is definitely the most familiar because it sets in modern time with our beloved gang! I hope you'll enjoy reading this book!

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry this didn't live up to your expectations! I know what you mean: some of the earlier chapters really did feel like fillers. I enjoyed them nonetheless! The Raphael chapter was so so good. He's my favourite character, so I absolutely adored reading more about him, and how his and Magnus' friendship developed. The Malec chapters made my heart explode, too! ♥

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you so much for visiting, feel free to leave a comment and talk to me, I don't bite :D

Popular Posts

Goodreads

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Tasya has read 2 books toward her goal of 70 books.
hide