Remakes and Adaptations In General

12:30 AM

(I'm sorry guys I'm really bad with titles)

Hi everyone! Today's post is something that has been on my mind a lot, and I just want to share my opinion and hopefully know yours. It's not exactly book-related, but somehow they correspond.

So as you guys know, lately there has been so many movies and tv shows based on books and comics. Allegiant, The Death Cure, and Me Before You are coming out this year. Shadowhunters also premiered earlier this year. And I heard news about A Darker Shade of Magic being a tv show? And let's not forget about the whole bunch of superheroes movies coming these past year.

It's not that I don't like them. I do like them. In fact my most anticipated movie this year are Civil War and X-Men: Apocalypse. And I can't wait for Thor: Ragnarok that's coming in 2017. It's just... I want to see something different you know? No "based on best selling novel ...." or "new superhero...."

I know nothing about the movie industry, but I love to watch movies. And as a viewer, I want something different. Ever since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows were separated into 2 movies, all final movies in the book-to-movie adaptations are separated into 2 movies, ex: Breaking Dawn, Mockingjay, and Allegiant. If it's necessary than I think it's fine, but do you really need to split EVERY final movie into 2 parts? I don't think so.

Book-to-movie adaptation is not a new thing, but I think ever since The Hunger Games hits the big screen and actually sucedeed (unlike Percy Jackson, Eragon, I Am Number Four, Beautiful Creatures and its other predecessor), it's like everywhere I look there are new upcoming adaptations from popular YA book! City of Bones, Divergent, The Maze Runner, The 5th Wave, If I Stay, DUFF, Me Earl and the Dying Girl, TFIOS, Paper Towns are to name a few.


And not to mention, the current trend of superhero movies. Ever since The Avengers, everyone literally tries to create a superhero movies. There are like, 5 movies for Marvel alone every year, not to mention DC and Fox and other studios. SO MANY. And don't forget the tv shows. Arrow, Flash, Agent Carter, Agents of Shield, Daredevil, etc.

If not book to movie adaptations and superheroes, we'll get reboot. Some of them are Fantastic Four, The Jungle Book, and Tarzan. If not reboot, then we'll get never ending series. The series that has been going on for too long and now is just a mess. To name some: Transformers and The Fast and The Furious. 


Like I've stated before, I don't hate them. But c'mon guys. Give me something new. Something unique and original. I want something that is born from the director pure imagination, something like Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands and Corpse Bride. Or like Christopher Nolan's Inception and The Dark Knight trilogy (best.reboot.ever). Or James Cameron's Titanic and Avatar. I want something new that I haven't seen years before, or read anywhere. Something original. 

I know it's hard, not everyone could create something new. But as a viewer, it's always mesmerizing to see something new and pure awesomeness. It will be worth it, trust me. Avatar and Titanic are both number #1 and #2 highest grossing movies of all time.

And recently I heard news about DC superheroes getting their own YA novel, written by 4 well known YA authors. What is it with adaptations lately?? Those superheroes already have comics, action figures, games, and countless movies, they're basically all over the media, why would they need books? I would prefer those 4 authors write something original and creative than adaptations. Just. Stop.

So yeah, that's all I want to say. I don't mean to attack any certain fandom or people, I just want to state my opinion. This trend has been going on since 2015, and I think it's time to stop and create something new. I just want to see something new and creative, that's different from any other. 

What do you think about the recent trends of remake and adaptations?

 



You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I absolutely agree with you. I love my superhero movies, but I also want something new and original. Something pure imagination, something different. I get that we're going through a remake phase, but I feel like it's really starting to do more harm than good with all these adaptations coming out, especially with the lack of success. I just don't know how this is all going to go over in the next few years... We really need a revival of creativity!

    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love watching those superheroes movies, but not-so in love with watching book to movie adaptations. I think the recent adaptations have missed the mark... I also can't imagine watching 100% adaptation for another 3 years!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you 100%. It would be nice to see new, original movies these days, thought I myself have nothing against adaptations. But if people just keep on making book adaptations, then I sure hope they change a few things from the story so that the viewers would get to see something new once in a while, as long as they're done well, of course. Some people may not agree with me on that, but come on, I'm sure that would be awesome.

    I also get your point with final-movies-getting-split-into-two thing. That's actually what me and my sister have been noticing lately too. Sometimes splitting the movie into two isn't even necessary, such as - for me - Mockingjay, which would have possibly been better if it just had one movie.

    This was a really interesting discussion to read. Great post, Tasya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the changing-the-plot thing, but not too much of course! (look at the divergent movies omg)I feel like Mockingjay shouldn't be splitted into 2 parts, the first part was kind of boring tbh, too much talking! (and I haven't watch the 2nd part because of certain death scene that I try to avoid)

      Delete
  3. Just yes. 100% yes. Not EVERY book needs to be a movie...I mean, really. And every series DEFINITELY DOES NOT NEED THE LAST MOVIE TO BE SPLIT INTO TWO PARTS. I mean, Harry Potter HAD to--it was that big a book. But like, Mockingjay? Not even close. And I really do want some more NEW, original movies and shows that aren't derived from some other work. I feel like those are getting few and far in between. And I LOVE all the Marvel and DC stuff that is coming out, and there has definitely been an increase in the amount of movies since it became super popular, but at least those had a lot of adaptations before ANYWAYS, you know? But I really don't see much point to the book versions of comics? Why not just read the comics? This post is scarily accurate, and JUST what I was thinking. AWESOME post, Tasya!

    ❤ Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FINALLY someone that agrees that the DC heroes doesn't need a book adaptaion! I feel like a black sheep, since everyone seems to be really excited. And about the two movies split, I think we all could agree the most pointless and ruined one is Allegiant. What was that???

      Delete
  4. This is so true! There is no need more so many adaptations these days. Just because they are 'popular' doesn't mean we have to base all movies on books. I agree with the splitting the final into two parts- pointless! I mean, there are some where it may be useful, but others? Nope (looks at Allegiant). Yes! The superhero industry is booming, isn't it? Ever since Marvel's The Avengers, every superhero movie is basically a Marvel or DC adaptation. Nothing new. I wish there are more original movies as well! We really need a break from all these adaptations!

    This is a great post Tasya! I really enjoyed reading it!

    Cloe @ Mornings and Epilogues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allegiant is a mess! I don't understand why they wreck a perfectly good trilogy into a mess! I agree, Avengers started it all! Thank you Cloe :D

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, I completely agree. Come to think of it...I honestly don't think I can think of a movie that's not based off a bestselling thing nowaays! Great point to bring up, Tasya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last time I watched something that is not an adaptation was years ago, I can't think a recent title XD

      Delete
  6. This is such a great discussion post! I've been thinking the same too. I don't really enjoy watching movies or TV series anymore to be honest. I think the only book to movie adaptation that was done really well was The Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter and Hobbit was quite well done too. I can't watch Shadowhunters, I actually had to stop watching it because otherwise I couldn't start reading Lady Midnight - it was making me dislike everything too much! Haha. Again, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with LoTR, Hobbit and HP. I think THG was pretty well, but the others seem to miss the mark. I think the show has improved, but the only thing that still bugged me is Clary and Jace. Kat actually got better, so I think I was annoyed because I hate Clary in general XD

      Delete
  7. I personally love it! XD I like the comfort of something known...and I honestly think that's why they do it. Like people will be "oh I have to go see the new Spider man...because IT'S SPIDERMAN" even though we've already had a gazillion spiderman adaptions. You know? Because we know waht's going to happen a bit and that's comforting.
    But at the same time....omg, I would REALLY like to see new stuff. Like, just in the comic universe alone, there are TONS and MILLIONS of superheroes but, we're rebooting Spiderman?? Um. Why? And where are all the female heroes? Don't even get me started on how WRONG it is that there are a gazllion superhero movies and NONE feature heroines. Everyone's cheering about Wonderwoman coming out this year but I'm just angry that it's taken this long. >_>

    Anyway, I don't much like DC but I am looking forward to the YA authors writing retellings! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see your point... especially about the heroines movie. I can't believe we still haven't got a black widow movie!!

      Delete

Hi guys! Thank you so much for visiting, feel free to leave a comment and talk to me, I don't bite :D

Popular Posts

Goodreads

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Tasya has read 2 books toward her goal of 70 books.
hide